Saturday 23 November 2013

Approved by Nobu Tamura!

I got a reply on my reply letter.

Hans-Georg Lundahl to Nobu Tamura
Date: Friday, November 22, 2013 3:09 AM
Re: Jonkeria
Here is my project:

Palaeocritti Blog : I Hope This Blog will Get More Writers - it is a Salvage Blog

South Africa

which now links to Dracovenator regenti

where the name links back to your page as long as it exists. To save myself trouble and to guide other writers on the blog, I have made a html formula available on the page (seen up on blog) which is named

Format of Each Species Description

If you like to be invited to this blog, say so and pick a country, I will be doing South Africa for a while. Do tell Dean Lomax and the others as well, please.

HGL
Nobu Tamura to Hans-Georg Lundahl
Date: 22/11/13 à 19h57
Re: Jonkeria
Nice!

I found out that palaeocritti would exist until June 2016 (last receipt dates from June 2011) so you still have 3 years to copy over the content into your blog.

Palaeocritti hasn't been seriously updated since 2012 and there is basically only one editor still active (Neal Robbins) who is adding a page once every few months. Neither Dean Lomax nor I have the time on maintaining the website and all the previous editors seem to have disappeared as well. Palaeocritti is still very much incomplete, we didn't even get to the point of having a page for every genus of dinosaurs!

For your blog, here are some advices that I can give you based on my experience on palaeocritti:

1) Carefully select your editors. Make sure that they are people who have some expertise in paleontology otherwise you will end up spending a lot of time correcting other people mistakes... Many pages on palaeocritti needs editing as the information there are not always current or accurate. Ideally you want to recruit professionals in the field (like PhD paleontology students).

2) You will need a few people acting as steam engines creating most of the pages. Palaeocritti worked well while Dean and I were heavily involved as the other editors would then find their job much easier by essentially correcting or updating information rather than creating a bunch of new pages. Without a few drivers, other people would quickly loose interest and go for sites with much larger numbers of editors such as Wikipedia. Sites such as Palaeos.org are dying for the very same reasons.

3) I think you need to have a search box so people can easily retrieve particular entries. If people wants to search for all dinosaurs from the Jurassic of Spain, it would be nice to able to get a list of all matching entries for the keywords "dinosaur" "spain" and "jurassic".

4) Add illustrations. Lots of people seem to access the site via google image search. For reconstructions you are welcome to use any of my drawings that I have compiled on my portfolio at spinops.blogspot.com and on my blog at paleoexhibit.blogspot.com. You might contact other artists as well for permission.

Cheers and good luck!

NT
Hans-Georg Lundahl to Nobu Tamura
Date: Saturday 23/11/13 à 11h35
Re: Jonkeria
Wonderful that you [l]ike it!

Answering two points:

3) I think you need to have a search box so people can easily retrieve particular entries. If people wants to search for all dinosaurs from the Jurassic of Spain, it would be nice to able to get a list of all matching entries for the keywords "dinosaur" "spain" and "jurassic".

My first searchable is Spain - or rather South Africa. Searchables for Dinosaur and Therapsid will be added, as will searchables for Jurassic and Permian and so forth.

Any blogspot blog has a little search engine on top, and any word included in a message might just be caught by that search engine.

4) Add illustrations. Lots of people seem to access the site via google image search. For reconstructions you are welcome to use any of my drawings that I have compiled on my portfolio at spinops.blogspot.com and on my blog at paleoexhibit.blogspot.com. You might contact other artists as well for permission.

Thank you very much!

This is highly generous!

Will be done.

Do you know if palaeos dot org is in a similar position?

Hans-Georg Lundahl

1 comment:

  1. Actually I meant Palaeos [dot com], and now there is Palaeos [dot org] as a salvage wiki for it. Seems very set on evolutionism, hardly likely they will let a Creationist blogger (with or without help from non-creationist ones) fuse their material into this blog ...

    ReplyDelete